Albasini Dam is on the other side of the formerly known Pietersburg, now Polokwane but only 25 kilometers from Makhado formerly known as Louis Trichart in the Limpopo Province, formerly known as the Lowveld was named after Joao Albasini, who established trading routes from Mozambique formerly known as Lorenzo Marques to the Lowveld in 18-voetsek. What makes this name so peculiar is the fact that Mr Albasini was not only renowned for being a nifty hunter but not a shabby slave trader either.
And in the light of all the reformation and name changes happening all over our country, one wonders if our current decision makers were to have excelled in History when they were in school all those donkey years ago, if they would have left this one stand any longer once they find out about it? Maybe this rule only applies to names that sound Afrikaans to them. Who knows!
The dam holds a maximum capacity of 1 000 000 cubic feet of water or just over 28 200 cubic meters, stretching over a surface area of 3.5 square kilometers.
The dam was completed in 1952 boasting a wall of 2040 feet long or 622 meters and a height of 110 feet or 34 meters and finds itself blocking water inside the Levubu (a.k.a. Luvuvhu) river.